Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cake Class #2

So yesterday was my second cake decorating class. I was excited to learn more, but also a little nervous because class number two entails actually decorating a cake!! I had to bring an 8" round cake and prepared homemade buttercream icing to class. Friday night after getting home from work, I began making two batches of icing. The process went well and I ended up with two containers of yummy icing.

My next feat was to make a cake from scratch. I had decided during the week that I would attempt to make a butter cake from scratch, but was nervous to make my first cake from scratch! So I began making the batter, poured the batter into the pan, and put it in the oven. Once I thought the cake was done, I started cooling the cake. Then Tripp and I left to get some dinner. When we returned, the cake was cooled but it was sinking some in the middle of the cake. I didn't think much of it and got it wrapped it up so I could take it in the morning.

What I found out in class was that I had not cooked my cake quite enough. The cake was cooked, but not cooked as much as it should have been in the center. I was so aggravated, but I learned a lesson about the doneness of a cake! In class, we leveled our cakes, iced them, did a piping gel transfer (put a picture onto the cake), tinted icing, and started piping. It was a lot of work, but the cake came out cute!!

No comments:

Post a Comment