Thursday, May 27, 2010

Year One = Accomplished!

This year has been a great year for Tripp and I. It has been a year of me moving to Houston, starting a new job, wedding showers, parties, our wedding, moving, exploring Houston, making new friends, and much more. Starting a new job is always exciting and also difficult. I started my job at a small school for children with language and learning differences in June 2009. When I started, I quickly realized how much I had to learn. I won't lie, the first few months were very rough. Poor Tripp had to console me a few times as I shed tears from feeling overwhelmed and putting pressure on myself to just know what to do in a job that takes a lot of time to get used to. Once October/November arrived, my comfort with my job increased and I was beginning to enjoy my job. 

My last day of work for the school year was Monday. Over the last few days, I have really been thinking about all I have learned this year. Here are a few of the big things I will always remember:
1. You have to laugh! It is normally pretty easy to do in my job. Four and five year olds come up with some funny comments and questions.
2. You can't be too hard on yourself. I had to give myself room to learn. I had to not expect that  I would jump in and know how to do my job. I had to remind myself that it would take time to adjust.
3. I have the greatest co-workers!! I would not have made it through year one without the help, support, and listening ears of so many. Thank you girls :)
4. I have a greater respect for parents of children with language and learning differences. With each family I work with, I become more amazed at how strong they all are. I hope when I am a parent, I can have half of the strength, perseverance, dedication, and love that these parents have for their special children.
5. I will miss my first Katie's Kangaroos group. Thanks for all you taught me this year.
                                                                          

I am excited to start year two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment